Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Gotham by Midnight #1 and Earth 2 #29

    Hey, it’s guest review time! Here are reviews by my pal Bruce Rosenberger, giving us a look at two DC titles: 

Gotham by Midnight #1 

   I love Ben Templesmith's art so I wanted to pick up the first issue to see if this one has any promise. 

   Ray Fawkes is the writer and while the name seems familiar, I can't place him. Storywise, I can't say I'm overly impressed as it’s a device I've seen before, many times, as the Internal Affairs Officer visits the Special Task Force offices to investigate and close them down as he's sure it's a waste of money. 

   The members of the Detailed Case Task Force, led by Jim Corrigan, are going to show him their value by taking him along on an investigation. So far I'll give it passing marks.

Grade: B 

----------------

Earth 2 #29 

   After 11 issues the story involving Darkseid and Apokolips has been brought to a close. 

   Issue 28 contained a few short stories by various teams about various characters. 

   Issue 29 seems to be another story arc starting and it features the Earth 2 versions of Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon. It's not written or drawn by Tom Taylor or pencilled by Nicola Scott but you wouldn't know. Trevor Scott's inking makes it look the same. (I was a fan of Nicola Scott on her last book but not so much on this one, and I think that's due to heavy handed inking by Trevor Scott.) 

   The story seems to take us right back to where we started with Tom Taylor so that's a bit frustrating, and at the end of this issue says that it's continued in the weekly mini-series Earth 2: World's End #9

   Can't say I was a big fan of the issue, although the two-page ad for Multiversity by Grant Morrison might just bump it up a point!

Grade: C+


-----------------------

1 comment:

Cephas said...

All right, Bruce! Nice!
Pete