Thursday, July 17, 2014

Original Sin #6 (of 8)

   So I admit it: I have, in my life, watched soap operas.

   Almost 30 years ago my wife and I recorded and watched the ABC-TV soap All My Children for about a year. (We were young and foolish.)

   There was a lot to love and a lot to hate about soaps, but the signature move that the show used over and over - and I hated - was the eternal dramatic pause.

   Beautiful girl walks up to hunky guy. She glares at him and says, "Well, is it true? Did you sleep with Betty Jean?"

   The hunky guy looks at her with a guilty look on his face... he looks and looks... but never says anything. Finally, the picture fades to black - and we're in a commercial break. Hated it - it was just so unnatural and corny, an obvious trick to get the viewer to stick around through the commercial break.

   I bring it up because it's a trick that Original Sin keeps using. A group of heroes have been brought together - and sent on various wild goose changes - for reasons the man behind it, the original Nick Fury, finally reveals.

   But when the question, "Who shot the Watcher?" arises,  we get a long dramatic pause, and no answer. It's still a cheap trick.

   As always, the art but Mike Deodato is phenomenal - amazing crowd shots and stunning vistas - but the story is still struggling. Fights break out for no reason, Fury's actual mission is still unknown, and it still seems certain that Marvel has built the series for the sole purpose of killing off the original Nick Fury.

   Since he's one of my all-time favorite characters, don't expect any cheers from this corner.

Grade: B-

----------------------------

 

 

No comments: