Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Walking Dead #100

Even though my tastes in comics are (obviously) pretty mainstream, I don't always pick up on what's "hot" in the industry.

The Walking Dead is a great example. It's one of the most successful non-Marvel or DC titles, it sells tons of issues and collections every month, and it spawned a successful TV series (and all the merchandising that entails).

And I've never read an issue until now.

Why? I dunno - I've never been a big fan of zombies (they're disgusting, they're usually slow, they eat brains (or other organs) - I get it. If you like that sort of thing, more power to you. it's just not my cuppa.

But, any comic that makes it to its 100th "anniversary" issue deserves credit, so I decided to break down and give it a try.

My first reaction is, I can see why this is popular. Written by Robert Kirkman, it's a grim piece of work. It has solid characters, dangerous situations, backstories for everyone, lots of tension and horror riding on every decision. We see the protagonists in a very tough spot and we ache to see how (or if) they'll escape.

The art is by Charles Adlard with gray tones by Cliff Rathburn, and it's quite good. Dark but with a realistic feel to it, he presents an array of characters, a world that's gone to hell and an existence loaded with harsh realities. He also has one of the most brutal, violent scenes in recent memory. (This is not a comic for young readers, folks.)

I can admire the craft and the style of the comic, but if this issue is any indication, it just isn't for me.

It's bleak, it's unsettling and it depicts a world that most of us would prefer to avoid.

Congrats to the series on its great success, and I'm glad they're not harmed by my disinterest- 'cause I won't be back for more.

As the great Don Thompson said, "If you like this sort of thing, here it is."

Grade: B-

----------------

3 comments:

El Vox said...

I haven't read TWD #100 yet, but I need to hustle down to the LCS and pick up the issue because I became a huge fan. You're right though, Don Thompson was great.

El Vox said...

Wondered if you'd ever read American Splendor? While I was in Dallas my brother had picked up the newest effort by Pekar, who died not long back, at the library--a good place to check out graphic novels if your library has the funds. At any rate, the new book is called Cleveland. I enjoyed it pretty much.

Chuck said...

Vox, I have read quite a few (though not all) of Pekar's stories. He was such an interesting character and a solid storyteller. I do enjoy American Spendor.