Sunday, February 12, 2012

Secret Avengers #22

Writer Rick Remender gets the unlucky task of following Warren Ellis' outstanding run on Secret Avengers, and it's a tall order.

And perhaps it's because I'm spoiled by the one-issue gems we've been getting, but this issue was a bit of a letdown.

Some of that is unavoidable, since they're doing a "rebuild the team roster" thing here - writing Captain America out of this series and putting in place some new faces, including Hawkeye, Captain Britain and Giant-Man (all welcome additions).

The team ends up fighting a mysterious new menace - but the opening adventure makes the team look like amateurs (or worse, bumblers). The heroes don't always have to win, but in many Avengers titles lately, there seems to be a movement toward making them inept. I don't get it.

I like the art, though I'm not familiar with Gabriel Hardman's work. It's a unique style with strong layouts and good character designs, but I'm not sure the muted coloring is the best fit.

By the way, am I the only one who doesn't understand why every single artist draws the Beast as a different character? I understand artistic license, but shouldn't there be some kind of basic design for everyone to follow? Some draw him to look like a big cat, some a bear, some a lion - could someone please pick one and stick with it?

Anyway, I'll give the new creative team more time to get a grip on this series - but so far, Secret Avengers is just OK.

Grade: B

---------------

No comments: