Friday, January 14, 2011

Daredevil Reborn #1 (of 4)

Daredevil is a comic that, when it's good, it's one of my favorites; but when it's bad, I drop it like a brick.

As a result, I missed the whole Shadowlands storyline - when it was obvious that Daredevil was recast as a villain (and one who murders his opponents), I knew that comic wasn't for me - so I stopped buying. (I did the same thing a decade or two back during the "organic armor" DD stories.)

Now Shadowlands is done and as a result, in Daredevil Reborn, Matt Murdock is... walking across America? Where have I heard that one before?

Nah, it doesn't really bother me - going out to find yourself is a time-honored tradition, and if any character needs a good scrubbing, DD's the guy.

So here we have Matt wandering through a small town in New Mexico (though I'm not sure how you go south from New York and end up in the desert). He runs across a town of people who are obviously hiding a secret - but since he's not a hero anymore (or so he tells himself), why should he care?

This isn't a bad book at all - the story by Andy Diggle is a step up from the last DD issue I read - and I like the art by Davide Gianfelice. It has a strong, stark look to it that fits the story well.

It's too early to tell how successful they're going to be in bringing Daredevil back, so they haven't won me back yet - but this is a good first step. We'll see how it goes with the other three chapters.

Grade: B+

-----------------

No comments: