Saturday, May 15, 2010

War of the Supermen #2 (of 4)

I should admit that I haven't been following the whole "New Krypton" storyline. I read the first few issues and it just didn't do much for me.

But since Superman: War of the Supermen is designed to wrap up that story in only four issues (or 100 minutes, depending on your preferred unit of measure), and since I enjoyed the Free Comic Day prelude to this series, I thought I'd give it a try.

It's certainly a different kind of Superman story, a very action-heavy and emotionally-charged tale, as the Man of Steel finds himself poised between thousands of Kryptonians determined to wreak destruction and his adopted world (Earth, that is).

This issue takes a few sidesteps, as Superman has a heart-to-heart with Supergirl, who survived last issue's devastation through improbable means. He also takes part in the battle above Mars. (Who knew we had a military base on Mars?)

The story is written by Sterling Gates and James Robinson, and it's entertaining despite its implausibilities. (Just how is Mars "between" Earth and New Krypton? Why would General Lane want to cause a war with a planet filled with Supermen? Stuff like that.)

The art is by Eduardo Pansica and Wayne Faucher, and it's a bit uneven, with some spectacular pages - but the team seems to have trouble capturing the likenesses of the heroes.

Despite those (mostly minor) gripes, it's an action-packed story, and I'm convinced to add the rest of the issues in this series to my pull list. If nothing else, it's good to see Superman back in his proper costume, fighting the good fight.

Grade: B+

No comments: