Friday, March 26, 2010

Uncanny X-Men #522

As much as I enjoyed Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's run on The Astonishing X-Men, I have to admit that the ending to that series was sad, and felt like one of those things that they would eventually get around to "fixing."

With this issue of Uncanny X-Men, let the repair begin!

Written by Matt Fraction with art by Whilce Portacio, this issue should be a celebration of the return of a beloved character - but instead it all feels very staid and quiet.

That's because, like to cover of this issue, everyone spends their time just standing around watching events unfold. It's all very calm and anti-climatic - the opposite of the story it wraps up, which was loaded with energy and emotional impact.

I think the creative team (with its ever-changing art team) still doesn't have a handle on the X-Men - or perhaps it's still in the process of readjusting the team into the lineup it wants.

Whatever the case, I'm just not generating any real interest in what goes on here - and that's surprising, considering the events in this issue should have been a real delight for me. I'm just not getting the sense in this comic of purpose, of family, of a team.

I've been a fan of the X-Men since the team's third issue - but these adventures are leaving me cold. I'd like to see some stories with the team working together, being proactive, visiting exotic locales. Anything!

Just no more issues with everyone standing around. Please.

Grade: C+

No comments: