Sunday, October 11, 2009

Irredeemable #7

I have to admit that there's a part of me that doesn't want to like this comic.

That's mostly because the central character is a hero who turns into the world's great villain, killing millions and terrorizing the world.

What can I say, I usually prefer comics about heroes.

Still, I have to admit that Irredeemable is a compelling read. In fact, each issue jumps to the top of my reading pile.

There are several reasons for that. For example, the comic is well written by Mark Waid, and the art by Peter Krause is excellent.

The characters are interesting, and the mysteries behind what happened to turn the Plutonian into a monster continue to unfold in clever and surprising ways.

And you just never know what's going to happen next.

The tension in this issue is powerful, as one of the few heroes still standing faces off against the Plutonian while his teammates explore their former friend's hidden base, which holds more than a few surprises.

It's an excellent series, and I recommend it without reservation (though it's probably not appropriate for young readers).

As long as the comic continues at this level of quality, I'll be reading (while ignoring that little voice inside my head - he can be a real stick-in-the-mud sometimes).

Grade: A-

No comments: