Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Trinity #32

I'm really impressed with what writer Kurt Busiek and artist Mark Bagley have managed to accomplish with Trinity.

Most writers would not have the discipline or the talent to create a weekly comic, and few artists could maintain the Kirby-like pace of drawing 8 to 12 pages of art every week. But this team is just 20 issues away from doing just that, and my hat's off to them.

It's also impressive that the work in the books has been nothing but professional and top quality.

I just wish I was enjoying it more. Busiek seems to be enjoying his exploration of what makes Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman special, and their unique place in the DC Universe, but as a reader, it just seems to be dragging on forever.

It takes a lot of story to fill 52 issues of a comic, and they have lots of story going on here - but it just keeps going and going. There's a quest on an alien world, there are battles between an army of good guys and an army of bad guys on an alternate Earth, there are plots still unfolding being hatched by Morgan Le Fey and Enigma, and Krona is still out there somewhere destroying galaxies.

I know it'll all wrap up soon, and it'll no doubt be well done - but the story is threatening to collapse under its own weight, and there are five months to go!

I want to like it, and I admire the craft - but my interest is fading fast.

Grade: B-

No comments: