Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Amazing Spider-Man #584

I feel like I keep picking on poor old Peter Parker these days - but I continue to be disappointed in this comic.

Which is surprising, because I've long been a fan of The Amazing Spider-Man. But even with John Romita, Jr. back on the art (and as outstanding as ever), the story just leaves me cold.

I think the problem is simply that the subplots fall in the "who cares" category.

We have a mayor's race that takes up a good bit of the comic - but I'm not sure why any reader would care which candidate wins.

We have the promise of revelations about the character Menace (no relation to Dennis, one assumes), but it's a complete cop-out.

The Spider-Tracer killer continues to, well, kill, but almost all that character's murders have taken place off-camera, so we have no clue about him (or her) and no real reason to care. The cover promises "Resolutions" about the killer, but we get none.

Harry Osborn does have a nice moment.

Oh, and Pete has a really bad day.

I appreciate that they're trying to give Spider-Man a new start, a fresh outlook - but there's a reason why the old version was popular. People cared about him and his loved ones.

The new version - not so much.

Grade: C

No comments: