Sunday, October 26, 2008

Usagi Yojimbo #115

The eternal frustration of the comic book fan is not being able to buy all the comics published each month. (Or perhaps I should say that it's a frustration for those of us who aren't incredibly wealthy.)

At any rate, I know there are comics out there I'd enjoy if I'd just take the trouble to collect them - yet somehow I don't make the commitment.

Usagi Yojimbo is a great example of that kind of comic. I've picked up quite a few issues over the years, but for some reason I don't buy the comic regularly.

My loss, really, because this is an excellent comic book.

If you haven't read it, Usagi is a masterless samauri - a ronin - who wanders across the face of Japan in the early 17th century, selling his services as a bodyguard. Humans are replaced by anthropomorphic animals - thus our hero is a rabbit. In fact, his name literally means "Rabbit Bodyguard." But these aren't "Funny Animals" (though occasionally there is humor on display) - it's an adventure series, and a darn good one.

Usagi often faces difficult choices, and this issue is no exception. He learns that a caravan is about to be attacked, so he must decide whether or not to warn them. If he does, the samurai in the caravan may attack him - and if he doesn't warn them, everyone in the caravan may be killed.

It's an interesting story, well written and drawn as always by Stan Sakai, who has guided the character since its creation way back in 1984. This book has developed a devoted following, and they're rewarded with a consistently top-notch comic.

If you're not reading it, you should give it a try - every issue I've ever read stands on its own. And if you enjoy it, most of those back issues are available in collections.

I regret not making this one a regular purchase, and I plan to correct that oversight. Go and do likewise.

Grade: B+

No comments: