Friday, June 19, 2020

Superman #22


    I hate getting pulled in by clickbait.

   You know, those Internet headlines that entice you in and then fail to deliver - they're just an attempt to drive up those precious "hit" numbers.

    I fell for one recently when a story touted that writer Brian Michael Bendis was "near the end" of his run on Superman.

   Apparently he made the comment recently on a podcast, but he's since walked back his statement and assures us that the end is a "long way off."

   It drew me in because I hate the thought of Bendis ending his run. As I've said before, I'm really enjoying his work on the series (and on Action Comics) - he's infused new life and personality into the character, and made the series a "must read" - a place it hasn't held on my list in a long time.

   Not that I love everything about his series - I'm not a fan of Clark Kent revealing his secret identity - but the series is loaded with great characters, surprising twists and lots of action.

   This issue is a good example, as Superman has a titanic knock-down, drag-out fight with Mongul, one of the few villains who can trades punches with the Man of Steel.

   It doesn't hurt that the cosmic-scale art is by the legendary Kevin Maguire, with terrific color art by Alex Sinclair. 

   So, glad to see that Bendis is (hopefully) sticking around for a while longer, and happy to keep giving this series my highest recommendation.

   Resist that clickbait, gentle readers!

Grade: A

--------------------

No comments: