Saturday, May 23, 2015

Star Wars #5

   I continue to be amazed at how good the new Star Wars comic is - it's one of the best Star Wars comics to date, and that's saying something.

   Some of the credit has to go to the amazing art of John Cassaday, one of the best artists working in comics today. His characters are expressive and spot on, his action sequences are incredible, and his environments are, well, real.

   But also give lots of credit to writer Jason Aaron, who seems to be writing with no fear. He throws characters together well before we might have expected them to meet, he takes us to places we might not expect to see again, and he gives the characters the right voice.

   Oh, and did I mention the wonderful cliffhanger endings, which are perfect for this kind of adventure?

   My only complaint is that some sequences are a bit too brutal - the scenes of torture (as a certain villain does his best to track down the pilot who destroyed the Death Star) are too intense.

   But if you can get past that, you have a comic that manages to capture that sense of high adventure that's so much a part of the Star Wars experience.

Grade: A-

---------------------------


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent review!!!

Anonymous said...

Chuck, I want to add something. While I enjoyed this review and have enjoyed this Star Wars comic far more than I thought I would, I don't think your complaint about the violence in it is fair. Sure, one could say that Star Wars is built for a pre-teen audience and should not step beyond that measure in its content, but a guy whose ship is named Slave 1 is probably a bad dude. We don't see Boba Fett that much in the films, but, as you know, he's got a cult following. Sometimes I think "making the bad guy bad" is needed, and that's what they're doing. My two cents, and I'm often wrong. Again, great review!

Chuck said...

Anon, that's certainly fair, and everyone has a different threshold for violence. I agree that it's important to establish Boba Fett as a major threat and a serious villain, but I thought the issue went a bit overboard with the torture / brutalization angle. I'm old school about such things.