Friday, February 6, 2015

Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex #1

   I'm not sure if this qualifies as an "event" book or just a sweeping crossover series, since it's mostly restricted to the X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy books, but whatever it is, it's off to a rollicking start with this issue.

   Or at least a crowded one.

   It involves the discovery that a certain evil team has found the object known as the Black Vortex - a mysterious artifact that springs from the cosmic beings known as The Celestials (and perhaps owes a lot to the Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey).

   The device is a source of staggering power - but can it be used for good, or only for evil?

   The issue moves all the players into position, ably served by the terrific art by Ed McGuinness, Kris Anka and a small army of inkers.

   I have to admit I almost didn't pick up this series - but I've been enjoying the Legendary Star-Lord series, and it led right into this issue - so I thought I'd give it a shot.

   With event books, by the end of the first issue you can usually get a sense that a series has potential - or it's going to be a waste of effort. So far, the signs are that this will be a fun, action-packed series.

    Hope I'm not wrong.

Grade: A-

---------------------------

No comments: