Friday, January 18, 2013

Batman #16

So this is one of those "run the gauntlet" stories where the hero has to get from "Point A" to "Point B" while dealing with an array of traps, enemies and obstacles.

Luckily, I love those kinds of comics!

This issue of Batman continues the "Death of the Family" story (which is nearing its end), and I have to admit it's been somewhat tough sledding - mostly because I don't buy any of the other comics in the series, including Batgirl, Batman and Robin or Nightwing (and whatever others there might be). And I'm not going to start buying them just because of a crossover event - sorry, DC.

As a result, I'm not sure what's been going on around the edges of this story - though, to its credit, Batman's battle with the Joker has been relatively self-contained here.

It's a grim battle of wits (with a few improbable events along the way), but it's a well-crafted tale (that leans a bit on the Arkham Asylum video games) with lots of surprising guest stars.

As always, writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo turn in top-notch work - but I'll be glad when this issue gets back to being a bit more self-contained.


Grade: A-

--------------

No comments: