Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Earth 2 #7

Earth 2 continues to be a disappointment.

For those who came in late, this title is a reboot of the Justice Society of America, returning the team (or the concept) to the alternate reality known as Earth 2.

But there are problems.

The characters have their original names, but their personalities have been changed. Green Lantern has no interest in being part of a team. Hawkgirl is a "Tomb Raider." The Flash is a bit of a flake. The Atom is a jerk. There are two Mr. Terrifics - one is evil and the other is brainwashed. Only Sandman seems to be a hero, and he's a cypher.

So all these familiar-yet-different heroes are running around, and there's no sign of a likeable of heroic character yet - and we're seven months into the run.

Look, I admit I'm prejudiced. I'v been a fan of the JSA since they first re-appeared in the Silver Age. I've been following the team's sporadic appearances since then, and have largely enjoyed them. Geoff Johns had a particularly excellent run on the title.

I was actually happy to hear the team was being moved "back" to Earth 2, because that's where it belongs.

The problem is, this isn't the team I've been a fan of for so long. And it seems likely that it'll never become that team.

Instead, it's yet another dysfunctional group of powerhouses, all angst and grief and sorrow.

I prefer the close-knit group of friends and family members made up of people I like. I'm old-fashioned, but I'd hate to think comics like that are somehow out of style.

Grade: C

---------------

No comments: