Monday, May 30, 2011

Secret Warriors #27

I confess I don't understand why writer Jonathan Hickman has been getting so much attention for his work on the Fantastic Four (or FF) and S.H.I.E.L.D., but virtually no kudos for his outstanding work on Secret Warriors.

His work on those books has been outstanding, of course - but I think this is the best of the bunch.

In this series he placed Nick Fury at the heart of a vast plot that revealed the truth behind SHIELD and Hydra - that they were both part of (and being controlled by) a bigger secret organization known as Leviathan.

For the past 27 issues, Fury has been at the heart of a complex plan to bring down Hydra, Leviathan and H.A.M.M.E.R. (still no definition for that acronym) - and with one issue to go in this series, we've seen some truly shocking events, surprising revelations and plot twists galore.

Perhaps the most shocking happens in this issue - something that's been coming for a long, long time.

The issue features rough-edged but compelling art by Alessandro Vitti - it's a perfect match for this gritty comic.

This isn't a series for the faint of heart - it's a complicated story, and now is not the time to start reading it - I recommend the collections.

But it's a rewarding read, and I can't wait to see how it all wraps up next issue - and where the characters and concepts go from here. They're much too good to languish in limbo for long.

Grade: A

---------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. This series is deserving of more attention. My sub through Marvel expired and I missed the last few but I am catching up and excited to see that it has retained a dedicated following.