Friday, February 4, 2011

Archie #617

And now, for something completely different...

While I was an Archie fan as a kid, I've only bought the title sporadically since then - but I couldn't pass this issue up, if just for the cover.

It got a laugh out of me - and my wife (who enjoys politics much more than I do) had the same reaction.

Here at Chuck's Comic of the Day, we tend to avoid political discussions like the plague - and I have no intention of getting into one here.

Thankfully, it doesn't matter which political figure you prefer (if you have a preference) - the story is played right down the middle.

I missed the previous issue (which was the first part of this two-part story), but apparently Archie and Reggie are running for Class President, and each had their photo taken with Barack Obama and Sarah Palin, and they've allowed people to think they were endorsed by those figures.

For some reason this makes Palin and Obama angry, and they travel to Riverdale to mete out punishment to Archie and Reggie.

It's silly, and the story by Alex Simmons never really goes anywhere - I think they're trying so hard not to offend anyone that they never had much of a chance to load in any real laughs.

The art is excellent as always, as Dan Parent and Rich Koslowski continue the classic Archie style with a nice injection of energy and charm.

So what we have here is a stunt comic that doesn't really accomplish much - except make a sale to me.

But I do love that cover! You know, now that I think about it, maybe we should move everyone in Washington to Riverdale...

Grade: B-

-------------------

No comments: