Monday, August 23, 2010

Avengers Academy #3

With this issue of Avengers Academy I feel my interesting starting to seriously wane.

It's not that it's a bad issue. It's the usual good mix of action, soap opera and character backstory - this time focusing on Hazmat, a girl who's become viral and is trapped in a protective costume.

The art is still quite good as Mike McKone and Andrew Hannessy continue with a strong effort, with great character designs, fun layouts and clean, clear storytelling.

The problem is that the premise of the story by Christos Gage is shaky. Would these instructors really take their young charges to a prison filled with super-villains, even in an attempt to get them "Scared Straight?" It seems dubious.

But the biggest offense is that the story crosses over into the Thunderbolts comic, which I haven't bought since Kurt Busiek wrapped up his run on the original series (this falls under my "you can't buy everything" rule).

I might forgive it if this title was better established, but at this point I'm still trying to decide whether or not to stick with it, and my reaction to this stunt is to drop this series.

It's actually a pretty good comic, but it's not so compelling that I can't be driven away by sales stunts like this. And that may have just happened.

Grade: B

-------------------------------------------

No comments: