Saturday, December 26, 2009

Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield #1 (One-Shot)

The things I do for you, gentle readers.

Since this issue with the somewhat silly title Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield
takes place after the not-yet-published final issue of Captain America: Reborn, ordinarily I would just set it aside and wait to read the issues in the proper order.

But I figured I should look it over and be ready to warn others whether or not it's safe to read this comic. However, I did avoid reading the summary page at the beginning of the issue (which apparently gives away the details of the ending of "Reborn") - I recommend you do likewise.

Of course, the ending of "Reborn" has already been spoiled to a degree by The New Avengers Annual and the Invincible Iron Man, and this issue offers the same amount of spoilage, so there's that.

It also offers an interesting flashback to Cap and Bucky in World War II, and then brings us to their modern-day predicament, which doesn't seem like a difficult problem to solve - but you might be surprised at what happens.

The art by Butch Guice and Luke Ross is very good, with strong layouts, great detail and lots of action and emotion spilling off the pages.

Ed Brubaker continues his strong run at the helm of this storyline, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

But I'd still like to read that last issue of "Reborn" before things go any further.

Grade: A-

No comments: